Friday, November 7, 2014

Totem Plugin Blues

So with the advent of HTML 5 comes change and sometimes those changes affect us negatively. The ever so popular plugin for the Linux video player Totem was dropped earlier this year because Chrome and other major web browsers were dropping support of an older API known as NPAPI. This led to some breakage in the web dev world and other nuances for ordinary users.

For me, I saw the affect in my home made TV tuner system.  Where before I could stream live TV through my Chrome browser via the Totem browser, was no more.  This led to me digging around and finding out why.

But Totem will still play the streams, just not embedded in the web  browser.  <URL>:<PORT>/stream

For example I use hdhomerun and their web frontend normally would launch the embedded javascript Totem plugin. Instead I have to point Totem to the actual URL which looks like this: http://192.168.0.1:5004/auto/v5 Where V5 is channel 5

No comments:

Post a Comment